Organically cool, calm and collected in heatwave
News is not good as another heatwave is reported to be plotting to impose itself on us and take our breath away.
So here are 5 tips to keep cool, calm and collected:
1. Keep hydrated with alkalising flavoured water and lemonade. Make sure you’re always carrying mineral water enhanced with lemons (prepare lemon juice and freeze it in cubes to keep your drink cold), mint, cucumber and ginger. Add citrus honey if you like a sweeter taste and use sparkling water if you enjoy the bubbles.
2. Salads are the new stews in summer. Just always have a base of quinoa, rice, lentils, chickpeas or short pasta ready and throw in what requires the least effort to taste great without making you sweat or bloat. Throw in a multitude of fresh herbs, fresh chilli or flakes, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, fennel or simply stir-in one of our pestos – a fresh basil with pistachio one is on its way to land our shores from Sicily on Wednesday. Apart from organic, it is also gluten-free – make sure you try it out.
3. GRILL. Whether on your terrace or the beach, simply put those red peppers, aubergines, zucchini, onions, garlic and tomatoes on the BBQ (a bulky or a disposable one) and let the fire do the job. Just have a good marinade (olive oil, lemons or vino cotto, salt, chilli pepper and finely chopped herbs) handy to dip in to ensure you never miss out on that enhanced flavour (and dispose of that grill properly before leaving the beach).
4. As a car needs oil, aloe vera is the equivalent for the body (that’s why it is so plentiful in nature. Just drink IT.
5. Live the dolce vita and organise that midnight dip in our beautiful Mediterranean waters. And this is the job for the spoilsports who remain on the water’s edge: Play the guitar (or its YouTube equivalent) with good music – latino or our all-time favourite classic Italian songs. Think Baglioni, Venditti, Cocciante. They blend in so well with summer nights in Malta.
Come on, let’s ride this wave going with the flow, rather than waste energy beating the heat.